Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cricket: Pakistan beat West Indies

Daily Result: £100.36

After a late night out, and
screwing up on the last ODI between these two teams, I didn't bother getting up for the start of this match. Instead I caught up on some (much needed) beauty sleep and joined the match just in time to see the West Indies lose their 4th wicket with the score on 133. Again I thought the Pakistan price was a little low at 1.31 but decided to catch up with the game and watch a little before getting involved.

Which proved sensible as it quickly became clear there was a problem with the stadium lights, or rather, lack of, and the playing conditions were more than a little dark. So much so that the Windies were offered the light soon after but refused it having once again two set batsmen. They didn't the next time it was offered though, with 3 more wickets down and the quicks back on, so we had the strange situation of a day / night ODI being stopped because of poor light. Another in the recent line of embarrassments for the Pakistan Cricket Board as it turned out neither the primary power supply to the floodlights, or the backup generator, were working. Might be worth checking before the next match chaps.


The delay went on for ages and eventually, with the lights finally flickering into life, it was announced the West Indies' innings was over and Pakistan would be chasing 191 from 35 overs following a Duckworth Lewis calculation. A pretty stiff ask of 5.45 runs an over all things considered.

Pakistan got off to a good start before the rate started rising. But the Windies failed to capitalise on chances, dropping two early catches and missing a simple run out in what can only be described as a village display. And that would offend some village cricket teams! The result was they failed to exert any early pressure on Pakistan who, despite some better fielding later in the innings, were eventually able to make the total with 7 wickets and 8 balls in hand.

Shame really as the game could have been a cracker if the early chances had been taken. But it adds another £100 to the savings for the wedding and ultimately that's what it's all about.

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bet Angel..... Free software trial

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was suprised when I read that your profit on turnover hovers around the 1-1.5% mark. Can I take it that you look to scalp a couple of ticks with each trade before getting out?

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi James,

You weren't joking were you - you really are trawling through the old posts!! The basic answer is (or was) yes. If we count total turnover to be both backs and lays. (ie, back 500 at 1.10 and lay 500 at 1.09 that is £5 profit on a turnover of £1k at 0.5% assuming the selection wins) I won't go into too much detail about it here but basically last time I updated everything if I took my total turnover (including on all losing events) to total profit I come in at between 0.5% and 1%. (There are noticeable differences in various sports - there's a better return for cricket than tennis for example.) This did include a basic idea of balancing books to some kind of all green when results were still up in the air, rather than carrying reds, which further reduced the % figure.

That all said I have made changes to the way I trade following discussions with other people. I still get in and take a few ticks here and there where possible if I feel the time is right to try it. But I now also will often let a winning trade run longer which obvioulsy increases the % markedly. Depending on the circumstances I will also have a main open position which I let run if the market is moving in my favour, but may still continue looking for additional ticks (as long as liabilities stay within my money management rules) with separate very quick trades, even in between balls etc in cricket. The result of all this is the % profit to turnover figure is increasing. If I remember I may do a post about it next time I update the spreadsheets.