Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A day of cricket trading

Daily Result: £624.15

It has its drawbacks but I guess one of the great benefits of being self-employed is sometimes you can just think sod it, I'm having the day off. And as I wasn't feeling particularly industrious this morning that's exactly what I did today. Answered a few emails and decided that was that. Went for a swim and then came home for a day of cricket trading broken up by some less than taxing sun bathing. Glorious! :-)

I got involved in three matches through the day. Caught some of the last day of the first test between Bangladesh and India, had a couple of looks into the Pakistan v Sri Lanka 3rd ODI and also had a go at the first day nighter of the domestic season between Sussex and Surrey.

Had the test down as a draw but a, shall we say, sporting declaration by India, livened the match up. At least it meant, for a while anyway, that all three results were possible at a stretch of the imagination. It soon became apparent that Bangladesh weren't going for the 250 runs they needed off a maximum of 43 overs though and the match petered out to a draw. Can't say I blame them. They wouldn't have got all the overs in and it's obvioulsy a lot harder to score in test cricket than ODIs. I'm sure the Bangers would have settled for the draw as a decent result before a ball was bowled in anger anyway.

Next up was the ODI. Live on ARY Digital on Sky 792 the liquidity was pretty poor. Which was a real shame as pakistan could be layed in the 1.7x range at the start and Sri Lanka had hit 1.4 within 10 overs or so. With more money in the market there would have been a lot more opportunities but as it is I was just playing for small stakes. And didn't let a win run long enough anyway. I left my book all green and turned to the Sussex v Surrey match, coming back in the innings break just in time to catch 5 Pakistan wickets for 9 runs and the collapse in the Sri Lankan price to 1.01. Pocketed just over £410 on the game. Very pleased with that. :-)

Ironically the Sussex v Surrey game is the one I caught the most of but also the match I made the least on. Ended up with around £70 green in the end. To be fair I was mainly playing for small stakes for most the match. Wasn't an awful lot of price movement in most of the parts of the game I caught until near the end when it got very volatile for a while. By then I was having connection problems and didn't want to risk losing the small amount of green I'd already banked so mainly just left it alone. Did catch the point where the market finally believed Sussex could make their run chase and we saw a 40+ tick price move in 4 balls but I only had a small amount on the move and got out pretty quick to level the green. Just in time to see the market flip back in fact. These volatile markets must be great for the those with a stronger disposition than me! Someone would have a made a small fortune on that price swing. Of course, the downside is someone would have lost one. Me? Well, I'm happy just to pussyfoot around when everything gets that volatile! Especially when my conncection is playing up. :-)

Anyway, that's it cricket wise until Friday when the 2nd tests between Bangladesh and India and England and the West Indies start. Hope you've got your eyes glued to the weather charts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Betfair Trader,

I have recently started trading on betfair and have been following your blog looking for trading inspiration! :)

However, one thing that I have been wondering about your trades is this... when it comes to your trading on cricket or tennis, do you trade back and forth on many numerous small 2 tick movements in prices? ... Or do you trade on larger momentum movements (such as waiting on falling wickets, or seeing that a price may be too low/high)?

Anyhow, great stuff you are doing here, hopefully one day I will manage to get trading returns like yours :)


The Trading Chiq