Monday, June 11, 2007

3rd test washout

Result since last update: £14.94

No, not the match itself - for once the weather was glorious! But rather my trading on it. Screwed up a bit on Friday, the second day, and with Emma due back from China / Hong Kong the following day, and lots of wedding stuff to sort, I decided to have a bit of a break and mostly leave it. So I gave the rugby, tennis and darts a miss over the weekend too.

I made £15 on the match. Which considering my opening position was a £1.3k lay of the draw suggests something went wrong somewhere! Guess it did. Not really going to go into it all here. Suffice to say for a while I was laying England and backing the West Indies. Never really got out of those properly. For a while I did have a huge West Indies green but in the end had to settle for a few hundred green England and West Indies. I popped out to the shops near the close of play on Friday. I came back to find 5/6 West Indies wickets had fallen in that time and the England price had collapsed so far it was barely worth getting involved any further.

At that point I decided there was little point in putting in much more time in the outright market unless it looked like a miracle was going to happen so effectively left the match. Sure I looked in from time to time as I was red the draw. As the Windies started to look like they might manage the impossible and make a world record 4th innings chase I decided what the hell. In poker parlance it was a bit loose but I decided to put most my England green on the West Indies and go for broke. Not my normal approach by any means. But it would have been several grand profit if they made it. And, let's be honest, for a while it looked like they just could manage it! I'd actually decided to shift some green back onto England when they hit the 1.6x range. Alas, they didn't get much higher than 1.5 so I never got the chance. End result. £15 profit. Bit disappointing but a profit is a profit.

Anyway, on the plus side I made several hundred on side markets away from Betfair but these don't count towards the blog profit and loss. And I guess I'm feeling a little fresher now after effectively having a few days break too. Got a busy week but will be doing a couple of televised cricket games and hopefully catching some tennis from Queens as well as getting round to answering all the emails I haven't yet. Sorry for the delay on those!

No comments: