Friday, July 13, 2007

Another washout

Daily Result: £6.08

Can anyone remember a summer where the cricket has been so interrupted by the rain? It seems to be perpetual as soon someone is silly enough to pack their kit bag. We've seen some matches played out in appalling conditions but today's Worcestershire v Hampshire game never even got started. Rained off without the covers even being removed. And that was at a reserve ground after the original venue had been flooded!

Which was all particularly galling as I haven't traded any cricket for around a week - only to find it's still bloody raining when I return and fire up the software!! To be fair the outlook wasn't looking good all day. Which made the Sky Sports commentators assurances that we'd have play "soon" all the more comical. Especially as it was pissing down behind them. And rather dark. Still, guess they've got a job to do and being bullish about "getting some live cricket in" keeps the advertisers happy.

Of course, the trading action was all on the completed match market. Decided not to get involved as I didn't fancy a few hours staring at weather radars. Got on with some work instead and just had it on in the background. And that's how I came by today's profit. News came after a couple of hours that that no play would be possible for a few more hours. Read through the lines and that realistically meant no play at all but we're not going to say it because we'll lose the few sad desperate viewers we have. So I loaded up the market and was surprised to see a chunk of money available about No Completed Match at 1.22. I submitted £50 for the hell of it expecting to miss it but got around half of it matched. So someone unsurprisingly beat me to it. The only real surprise was I got any of it at all. But I did so I made a few quid. Hey, it all counts! The odds finally went to 1.01 a short while later when it was announced the match was being abandoned.

So, not the most auspicious starts to my trading after the recent break. All this rain is starting to cost me money! Still, I'll try again tomorrow. Leicestershire v Kent in the Pro40. Let's hope we get some play this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to know that if match not even started than bet also counts on teams?

The Betfair Trader said...

Not entirely sure what you mean. I guess each bookmaker has their own rules and I don't know them all but I'd be amazed if all match bets (ie, team to win) bets weren't simply cancelled.