Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cricket trading at last!

Yesterday's result: £446.52

So I finally got to trade a full cricket match yesterday for the first time in ages. Good to finally bank some decent green again. Does make you wonder how the recent weather has impacted on full time cricket traders. All the rain has had an effect on my bottomline. Must have hit those who deal in bigger numbers far more. Still, every cloud and all that. At least I've had a chance to catch up with lots of work.

Made most of yesterday's profit on the Twenty20 quarter final between Sussex and Yorkshire. Wasn't able to fully concentrate on the start of the game though as I had to sort my Nottinghamshire position out in the outright market. Rain the previous day meant yet another match - the Notts one - had been abandoned without a ball being bowled. A quick rule change by the ECB meant it was played yesterday instead. Unfortunately I wasI so focussed on getting some work done before the 7pmish start of the televised game that I totally forgot about the earlier starts. Not the shrewdest move I'll ever make!

By the time I realised the games were on Notts had collapsed from a good start. Luckily some of my lay of them in the outright market had been taken. But not all. Which was annoying as I'd have dumped it all at a higher price without hesitation if I'd been concentrating. With Notts looking like losers I wanted out but there wasn't the liquidity in the outright market so I covered the loss on the match market.

Sussex v Yorskshire was pretty good viewing. Sussex's 193 was always going to be a stiff chase. The average 1st innings score at the ground is 149 and a successful chase would have made it the biggest at the ground. Add in the lights factor and Sussex were obvioulsy big jollies at the change of innings.

Rather than lump on further though I decided to wait a short while and see if Kent could get off to a good start before being contained by the Sussex spinners. The price did make it a tick or two higher with a 6 off the third ball but an early wicket saw the price plunge. And it got lower as they fell behind the rate. So I missed a few ticks worth of extra green but was happy with the trading decision. And with the end result. Pleased with the best part of £450. Wish I could be given more than £10 an over for every cricket match I watch!

Profit on the whole this month is going to be well down on the last few though but that's simply because there's been so much rain I just haven't traded as much. Going away for a long weekend tomorrow too so am not going to be involved at all in the 1st test between England and India from Lords. Good luck if you're able to get involved! :-)

1 comment:

Rob said...

Looking at the weather forecast for Friday I'd be amazed if there's any play at Lord's. Looks like a total washout with up to 4 inches of rain, could see scenes reminiscent of Worcs last month!