Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Poor timing leads to loss

Daily Result: £270.81

Not the best of days really. Traded 6 events for varying amounts of time. Managed to win on 5 of them. But had a heavy loss on the other. In fact not much less than the maximum loss I allow myself on non-cricket trading.

The big loss (£472) came on the darts in the Priestly v Wade match from the World Matchplay. Not too much to say except I had a shocker. Everynow and then you get one of those events where everything you touch appears to go straight against you. Well, this was one of those. I've tried looking at it with hindsight to see if I should have done anything different but even with that benefit I don't spot any standout mistakes. Some small ones sure but nothing too heavy apart from the fact that I should probably have just quit the match for a smaller loss as it went on and my position kept getting worse. I won't list all the points I got involved in that cost me. Anyone who saw the match will know there were big swings in player standards, a seemingly impossibly high number of missed doubles and some shocking darts inbetween some truly exceptional scoring and finishing. I just caught the swings wrong. Time after time. :-(

That loss came on my first event of the day so I had a quick break and made reminded myself not to chase. Made £139 on the next match between King and Jenkins and £17 during a quick look into the Van Gerwen v Baxter game. By then I was concentrating on the cricket between Northamptonshire and Lancashire. The market saw the usual weight of money for Lancashire. Couldn't believe some of the prices I was seeing and eventually had to oppose it. Lancashire ultimately won though and their price never went above their SP until 5 balls from the end of the match. They just about scraped home in the last over though and I made less than £10 on the match. Still had a hefty green on Northants though and for a moment in that last over thought I might just land a nice result.

For a while the match looked like it was going to be an easy Lancashire victory so also had a messaround on some short odds darts in the evening games involving Taylor and Barneveld while the cricket was still on. Made £20 each on those to help eat into the earlier loss.

So, a losing day. The first for a while. But not as bad as it could have been. Pretty happy to only register the £270 loss after being over £470 down at one point. Won't be able to do tomorrow's cricket but will hopefully get a look in on some darts at some point in the afternoon.

1 comment:

Spudy said...

http://spudysblog.blogspot.com/

Could you link me up please?

Spudy (A fellow gambler)