Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Aussies wrap up a quick victory

Daily Result: £128.88

All a bit disappointing really. The final day of the second test between Australia and Sri Lanka was set up for a great trading event. Unfortunately a few early wickets put paid to that and instead it became a question of just waiting for Australia to win.

We still got some pretty rapid price movements in the first couple of overs mind. The draw out from 5 to 9.6. Lanka in from 9.8 to 5. Having backed Sri Lanka at up to 48 the day before I was able to use the lower prices to help sort my book out but without a decent attempt at the win from Lanka I was never going to really make much on the match.

That's because my starting position had been a lay of the draw which I'd bailed from during day 3 from memory. That had left me all red which then became large Lanka green red elsewhere. Not one of my best trading results then but managed to turn it round nicely in the end. Would have made more but hadn't increased my Aussie wallet limit which stopped me getting matched when I wanted to. Decided to leave it after that.

I guess the lesson I take from this is to try and not do too much at once. With another test match in a different time zone, ODIs and a very busy normal work schedule I just couldn't give this test the time it deserved and this is reflected in my result on it. Basically I just left positions and hoped knowing that I'd left them in such a way that I'd more than likely be able to comfortably sort them out if they went wrong. Seems I didn't hope enough and I was left to sort out the losing positions. Pleased to make a profit in the end but probably better things to do with my time during a busy work period than stay up till the early hours to prevent a loss.

So, happy with a profit on the game but will no doubt avoid the next all nighter when other trading events are on. Be better off staying fresh and focussed on just the one or two games. Three games in 3 time zones has been a bit much!

2 comments:

rerc said...

Hi.
I´m a Portuguese student and I enjoy your blog a lot. Could you please answer me these questions?
Do you only trade in markets you are watching at TV?
If so, what are the channels you choose?
Thank you and congrats

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Ruben,

Yes. I almost exclusively trade in running markets that I can watch on tv / follow on the radio.

TV channels. I have the Sky Sports package which includes two EuroSport channels. Don't have Setanta but this is because I don't trade football / golf or whatever it is they show.

Sky also means I can get other channels such as Zee TV and the subscription channel ARY Digital which show some sub continent cricket.

UK terrestrial channels also show some of the events I trade. (BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and 5)