Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Cricket Trading: 4th ODI

Daily Result: £401.04

Decided to give the tennis a miss today and concentrate on the 4th ODI between England and Sri Lanka. And, if truth be told, I'm rather pleased I did! £401.04 is the biggest win I've had on a single event since I started the blog. And, equally pleasing after some recent errors and losses, I traded the match well. As well as enjoying a bit of banter on the Betfair cricket forum.

Was a little annoyed to have missed the early team news about Pietersen and Collingwood. Sri Lanka were yet again odds against (What, you wonder, do they have to do to start favourites in this series?!) but as news spread about the team changes, and then Sri Lanka won the toss, the price got as low as 1.7 before a ball had been bowled. Had some green before it started but missed out on the overnight and early morning movement.

Once again there was serious money opposing the Lankans from the off but as the scoreboard starting spinning the price collapsed again with a brief respite after a rain break. 50 odds runs from the last 5 overs saw the Lankans reach 318 and a probable 4-0 series lead.

England actually made a pretty good effort at the total for a while and there were some spikes in the Lankan price but ultimately the run rate got away as progress inevitably slowed after wickets. But the spikes made for great trading and I simply joined many others following the market up and down collecting green as I went. A most pleasing day. :-)

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Smiling Assassin .....£25 free bet

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Adam. I was at work for most of the match but had snaffled the 2.04 & 2.06 about SL the previous day as fully expected KP to miss the game so was nicely green before a ball was bowled. Long time since I 've seen a whole series of ODI's priced so incorrectly.

Be lucky....

The Betfair Trader said...

Adam?! Think you've got me confused with someone else or just made a mistake? If you're the Jimmy Tennis I've been chatting with via email have a check!

Well done on getting Lanka above evens. I've had a good result on the series to date but those who just prefer a punt must have raked it in with the ante-post prices we've seen so far.

Anonymous said...

Sorry mate. Was thinking of Adam cos BetTrader Pro had been down all afternoon !!

Jimmy Tennis

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi KK,

I guess that's just up to you and your approach and exposure limits. I don't try and be a tipster or advise but as I also backed Sri Lanka at around 1.24 at the same time I'll explain what I did.

Firstly, I thought 1.24 was a great price on the Lankans. I never really considered England would make the total and expected them to fall behind the run rate pretty quickly.

As it was Trescothick got off to a flyer and England were up with the rate. So the Lankan price started drifting. I still didn't really think England would win but don't like to lose too much on individual trades so closed out of that one for a loss. As England continued to do well I was laying Sri Lanka and backing them higher on boundaries and inbetween balls and just slowly building more green. I was careful to try and not leave a position open while a ball was being bowled as a wicket, espeically Trescothick's, would obvioulsy result in a price plunge.

Once a few wickets went down and the run rate started rising obviously the Sri Lankan price started contracting again and I did just did the same in reverse.