Thursday, June 29, 2006

Trading a great day of sport

Daily Result: £358.22

What an absolutely fantastic day of sport. Managed to catch two cracking events in between dipping in and out of others. Can honestly say I haven't said "wow" so much in long time. Top class stuff, very enjoyable - and made for great trading too! :-)

So where to start? The Kendrick v Nadal match at Wimbledon that saw a qualifier ranked 237 lead the power hitting number 2 seed 2-0 in sets? The game had everything - even down to an umpire overrule on match point - before Nadal pulled it back to win. Or the 20/20 game between Leicestershire and Lancashire? Which once again showed why 20/20 is the crack cocaine of cricket trading when Lancashire got a 4 off the very last ball to win. Took a braver man than me to still be involved at that stage I tell you!

Actually started the day trying to nick a few quid on the outside courts at Wimbledon before the show courts got underway at which point I started doing the Agassi match. Felt like a bit of a vulture really. He was evidently injured last time out and in between usual trading I was waiting for signs that he was still carrying it for the opportunity to crack out a nice lay. But he seemed to be moving well and I actually started hoping he'd win to prolong his last Wimbledon run. But as the odds got lower the price movements reduced and, with some green built up, I started looking for another match. And that's when I saw Nadal in trouble at 1-0, and a break down in the second. Dropped the Agassi game pretty sharpish to switch!

Think it's fair to say a fair few fortunes were won and lost on the Nadal match. There was nearly £11 million matched on the game and fair play to anyone that was trading it from the off and managed to lay him at 1.0x. I won't run through all the ups and downs of the match here - and believe me there were loads even from when I started watching. It was awesome stuff. Suffice to say Kendrick was a revelation. Never seen him play before but he had a classic grass court serve volley game and played the match of his life. Simply an awesome display of positional serving against the best returner in the world. But when Nadal took the third set you kind of sensed his fitness and 5-set experience would win through and ultimately they did. You have to credit Nadal for sticking to it and both players well deserved the standing ovation they got. You do have to wonder what Agassi (who plays him next) and Federer made of it all though. If Nadal makes it to the final (and that's a BIG if) Fed must have it in mind that revenge for the French Open final defeat will be short and sweet!

Needed a break after that and then had the choice between the Scottish sulker Murray in the tennis or the 20/20 match. Went for the 20/20 as it was fantastic stuff last year and I wasn't disappointed!

It may be stating the obvious but this is break neck speed cricket and the market behaves accordingly. Not for the faint hearted! After the first few overs I kept my green very level througout on this one and my exposure to the market to an absolute minimum. Superb stuff from start to finish, with Lancashire, having already flip flopped as favourites, ending up at 1.1x at one stage to make the chase. Before that is they let the run rate slip and needed 28 off the last two overs to wrap it up. Which left Leicestershire at 1.1x. Which was suddenly evens the pair with one over to go before the Lancashire price yoyoed again in the last. Great opportunity for profit but by that stage it was a pure gamble and I was leaving the market well alone and just enjoying the match. Lancs needed 10 off the last over and wrapped it up with a boundary off the last ball. Awesome viewing.


Anyway, I've rambled on long enough, so just a quick congratulations to The Sportsman for making it to its 100th issue today.

Popular links: Betfair trading software ....Bet £10 for a £25 free bet. Today only

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave....I was 75 quid green both Leics and Lancs with 10 balls to go and like you sat back to enjoy the conclusion UNTIL I heard Bumble say that a tie is a tie !!!!

Had visions of 2 hours hard work being wiped out !!

The Betfair Trader said...

Great match wasn't it Jimmy. And nice one on the profit. I hadn't covered the tie (prices were shocking) and was a little concerned too!

In fact when 4 were needed off the last 2 balls I was positively worried!! But when it got down to 3 of the last 1 I figured it would be a dot ball, 4,6, 1 or 2. Any of which would have done. But I was still worried they might run two and nick another off a silly overthrow or something. Worked out well in the end though. :-)

paul said...

Hi,
I'm a really new to the whole trading thing atm. This week I've made a bundle by basically getting it wrong, and then getting really lucky (2k in 3 hours, how lucky is that!).

Anyway, I checked out the LvL criket last night. Saw that (the eventual winners, soz cant recall this second) where at 1.4 or something, so backed a 100 thinking it was easy money. Of course I know naff all about cricket so didn't realise that the game/match was nowhere near finished. So later on I check back and they are now at 4 or something. Oh nuts! What happened. Found the bbc audio coverage and held my breath as I listened to the last 3 or so overs.

Cracking stuff. Always helps to be lucky. :)