Monday, August 21, 2006

4th test controversy and Betfair

Daily Result: £1053.12

Wow. What a 24 hours. Never seen anything quite like it. Controversial cricket, the game bought into disasterous disrepute, meltdown on Betfair, huge wins and losses - and the repurcussions of it all are still to be felt.

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of the cheating issue for later I believe where we're at now is correct. Pakistan failed to take the pitch for play. Not once but twice. They forfeited the game. They lose. Rules are rules. They're clear. And even the Pakistan Cricket Board isn't contesting the ICC ruling. Which means the Betfair payout (and the rest of the betting industry) is correct. Betfair's own rules state they pay out on the "official" result. The official result is an England win. Case closed.

As for Inzi being charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Spot on. I like Inzi. But surely noone can seriously contest that he hasn't damaged the reputation of cricket? Even the press in Pakistan, though outraged about the cheating allegations, is not supportive of the action Inzi took at the Oval. I mean come on - for the first time ever in the history of the game a test match has been forfeited. It was chaos. And very embarrassing for the game. Refusing to take to the pitch, despite an ultimatum to do so, was not the right way to deal with the situtaion. I expect him to receive a fine and either an 8 match ODI ban, or a 4 match test ban. It could be a very sad end to a fantastic career. Zidane all over again.

The ICC? Despite a farcical lack of communication at the crucial time yesterday they eventually woke up and did the right thing. You have to back your own. And they have. Billy Doctrove and Darrell Hair were the ICC officials on the pitch. They interpreted the laws of the game correctly. They gave Pakistan every chance to take to the pitch again. When Pakistan failed to show up for a second time they followed the laws of the game, interpreted it as a forfeit by Pakistan and awarded the match to England. For the ICC not to stand by this straight forward ruling would have been disasterous not only for its own authority but the future of the game. Imagine what kind of precedent it would have set if they hadn't have backed up the umpires.

So, to the issue of cheating and Darrell Hair. Well firstly, this Hair witchhunt is totally unwarranted until the facts are known. I accept he was the driving force in the ball tampering decision. But there were two umpires on the pitch. It is a joint decision. Sure, Hair has history with Pakistan. He also does with Sri Lanka. I find allegations of racism against him unsavoury. Rather, I think he's a strong willed guy that is willing to make tough decisions. Many wouldn't. But whether it's calling Murali for chucking (and let's face it, this led to a change in the laws of the game to accomodate arm bend), or accusing Pakistan of ball tampering, you have to give him credit for standing there and making the call. Hair is not stupid. He knows what kind of implications these decisions will have. And he is not taking them lightly. If he thinks the laws of the game are being broken we should applaud him for having the bottle to stand there, make the decision and take the inevitable flak.

Which leads to the crunch question. Was the ball tampered with? Well, I don't have clue. No idea. How can I? What I do know is that 26 Sky cameras failed to spot anything. And the Pakistani team are vociferous in their denials. However, in a short period of play (from memory 13 overs - without a six, which some claim caused any change in the ball condition), Hair obviously believes he noticed a marked change in the condition of the ball. He consulted Doctrove, Doctrove agreed, and the shit hit the proverbial fan.

Now we don't know what made Hair and Doctrove believe this. And I sincerely hope that in time evidence will be offered. Maybe Hair saw something that we don't know about it but will go in an official report to the ICC? I don't know. But for the sake of the game, and the umpires, I sincerely hope it wasn't just a belief that the ball had been tampered with. This in itself would be enough to take the action the umpires did. But accusing a team of cheating is not a pleasant business. Pakistan had every right to be outraged if innocent. Until we know the facts, hear the explanations and see the ball for ourselves, it's a little pointless to speculate further. Unfortunately I believe there will be no evidence, apart from the state of the ball - and all the arguments about how that could have happened, and this will rumble on. Either way, if neither umpire saw any tampering you have to say that, with the knowledge of what such a decision would entail, the umpires must have been pretty bloody sure something unusual had happened to the ball. Even if they reached the wrong conclusion about what it was.

So finally us punters. There's no doubt people have won and lost big on this. Huge. I've read of catastrophic £30k+ losses, bankrolls being wiped out and losers saying they're finished. I know these people don't want sympathy but they were unlucky that circumstances unravelled as they did.

At the same time I have to ask myself what the hell people are doing risking eveything on one result? It's not even as if England were that big a price. There's no such thing as buying money in betting. Bank of Federer? Bollocks. Murray made a withdrawal. 1.01's. Bullshit. £500k was matched on Clijsters at 1.01 in her match with Dubois last week before she retired hurt. Or what about when Australia were 1.01 in a recent ODI with South Africa before the Saffers had even batted? And then lost. Or 1000 shots (999/1) winning in reality tv markets after something unexpected happens? Regular readers will know I'm a great believer in small consistent profits. Put everything on the line and sooner or later, no matter how unlikely, you'll get turned over. It's unfortunate but true. And that's why when people think they're buying money they should stop to consider why people are opposing them. They're not always the mugs the money "buyers" think they are.

And as for me? Well, I dipped in and out of the test each day. Couldn't do it all so left myself all green at the end of each day. Was so tempted to lay the draw big at the start of the match but ended up in a terrible position trying to quickly trade in and out and got caught with a hefty draw back as England started to collapse.

By the time everything kicked off yesterday I was around £300-£500 green any result. When I realised Pakistan weren't coming out for the first time I had a small bet on England in the belief a forfeit would give the game to England. To be honest I didn't know. And so wish I had! It was speculative and the odds fell a little and then went right out again. But when Pakistan failed to turn up the second time I'd managed to check the laws and wanted to back England more. By then the price had collapsed and so I laid off at sub evens and for an all green book of between £800+ and £1k+ believing that was a better move than a sub evens back in a volatile situation. Unfortunately the market was then suspended denying us all what would have been an absolutely fantastic trading frenzy.

Of course, I'm happy with my £1k. It's another hefty contribution to the wedding funds. And I'll settle for it. But at the same time I realise that I could have made up to £30k on this match, though £10k is the more realisitc figure. I had my finger hovering over a much larger back of England when I made my speculative bet but just didn't do it. The point is I wasn't 100% sure of the rules at first. And, true to form, kept my risk to a minimum. No big liabilities. Small consistent wins. With so much uncertainty I simply decided to keep my green pretty level and, on suspension, had the decision taken away from me. Next time though I'll have my own copy of the
icc rules and regulations to hand! This little £2.50 beauty could be worth more than it's weight in gold next time controversy hits the game!!

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bookmaker Free Bets.....Bet365

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty fair summary of what happened in my eyes. Think the umpires could have handled the initial situation with a little more tact but ultimately you can't argue they didn't follow the laws of the game to the letter. Would be a terrible way for Inzi to end his career and I hope the press back in Pakistan, while supporting his claims that they did not cheat, do not crucify him for the poor way he eventually handled the situation.

Anonymous said...

fantatstic summary. I did play at 1.7 for an England win and, when Pak came out thought a political fudge had killed the bet but the moment the umpires refused I felt an England win would prevail....despite the forum going up in smoke!! Also great call on all those 'free money' merchants. They drive me crazy with their stoopid comments and Bank of Federer waffle.

euroscooby

Anonymous said...

no mention by you of the poor fans who were there on sunday and the 12000 plus who had paid for a days cricket on monday. Your assessment is based totally on the rules. The ICC could easily have allowed the game to continue and sorted out everything at the end. Hair is a blatant racist and should be removed. Shame on you betfair trader for thinking only of your bets and not of the poor suckers who were there and were let down by the officials.
Mick

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Mick,

Apologies for concentrating on the rules and bet settlement element of the issue but this is, after all, a betting blog. And a quick look at the Betfair forums shows these were the issues uppermost in the minds of those betting on the event. The blog entry was already very long and while I have sympathy for the fans I'm going to write about what is most important to me as someone betting on the match.

As for no mention of the fans at the game I concede I did not focus greatly on this but thought the comment on "farcical lack of communication from the icc" covered it. And while I empathise with the fans left in the dark on Sunday I'm guessing those who'd bought tickets for Monday will be reimbursed. (Given the light situation I'm not convinced there would have been much, if any, more play on Sunday anyway. As you no doubt know tea had been taken early because of poor light already.)

I don't believe the ICC could have let the game continue after the umpires had left the pitch for the second time for the reasons I have explained in the entry. And while I believe the officals could have handled the situation with more tact I think it disingenuous to say the fans were let down by them. They were on the pitch. The Pakistan team weren't. They failed to turn up twice. Much as I admire him the fans were let down by Inzi, not the officials. And that is one of the reasons why it is Inzy facing charges, and not the umpires.

I respect the opinions of people who post on this blog and do not want to censor them. And I realise people will often disagree strongly with me. But I would politely ask you to refrain from accusing people of racism along with other comments that *could* be interpreted as inciteful and unsubstantiated defamation. I know the issue has been very devisive but I don't want my blog to degenerate into the state that some online boards have on the issue.

As a former UK tabloid reporter, and agency news editor, I'm in the fortunate position of having a good working knowledge of media law. I thought twice about deleting your comment but decided to allow it stand with my reply instead.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your views of course and understand that you do not want suggestions of racism on your blog for which I apologise. However, your defence of Hair following the revelation today of him wanting £250,000 to go quietly, seems a little hollow. I wish you well in your quest for your wedding funds although our views are miles apart on some matters.
Mick