Saturday, October 28, 2006

Cricket: England beat Windies

Daily Result: £3.87

Decided I'd have a break from trading and would only get involved in one of this weekend's ICC Champions Trophy matches. And as I'm due out for a late one with Emma tonight today's England v West Indies game instead of tomorrow's India v Australia clash seemed the obvious choice.

Except in the end through a combination of phone calls and friends visiting I didn't really get to trade that much anyway. In fact missed most the first innings and was patchy on the second though got to enjoy Pietersen knocking the winning runs in style.

Actually fancied England to win this one. Sure, the West Indies could influence who they met in the semi finals with a win but their recent record in "dead rubbers" isn't exactly great. Anyway, before I get accused of aftertiming I should also mention that by the time the Windies had knocked up 272 in their innings I didn't think England had a cat in hell's chance of winning. So perhaps not being able to get involved too much was a blessing in disguise!

The England innings got off to a flyer and there were huge price changes. The Windies were 1.46 in the innings break. Within 7 overs England were 1.63. And in between all that I'd layed the Windies at 1.67, and then layed England two overs later at 1.8. Like I said - big swings!

Unfortunately it was a similar swing that accounted for most my profit nearer the end of the game. Although I'd not been able to catch it all it was pretty apparent after a while that the match was really all about the Pietersen and whether he could get England across the line. I was unsure and with the run rate still rising I made a quick back of the Windies at 1.41 looking to nick a couple of ticks. Disaster! There were only 11 or so overs to go so market movements were always going to be volatile but within 3 balls the price was evens the pair!! I was caught desperately chasing the market out and I had struggled to dump my back at 1.51, 1.66 and finally at 2.14 a few balls later. Amazing how costly a few boundaries can be!

So in the end I made around £10 on the Match Odds market, lost a bit on the Tied Match market (I'd taken out insurance when £100+ green the pair) and ended up kind of wishing I hadn't bothered getting invloved at all. Still, it was great to see KP play another sensible innings at last and hopefully the win will help build morale in the England camp before they head off to Australia to try to retain the Ashes.

Anyway, have my best man coming round for dinner soon, and then off out for drinks with friends. Lots of great events to trade tomorrow - India v Australia and the snooker and darts finals - but I'll be having a rest from it all. Best of luck if you get involved and I'll probably be back trading the ATP Paris Masters on Monday.

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bet Angel.....Learn to trade

No comments: