Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Cricket: Pakistan v Sri Lanka

Daily Result: £133.24

At last! A decent competitive game of cricket. Bit of a thriller even. Just what the Champions Trophy needed to kick it into life.

I discussed yesterday how I thought the first innings total could be higher than the low average the competition has seen so far and thankfully it was. A combination of a better pitch, though there was still uneven bounce, a weakened Pakistan bowling attack and a good aggressive attitude from some inform Sri Lankan batsmen meant a total of 253 was reached. And Sri Lanka would probably have been disappointed with that. If it wasn't for a mini mid order collapse 300 wouldn't have been unrealistic.

With a quick start from Lanka, and no early wickets the market moved nicely for the early overs before settling into a narrowish band from the 20 over mark or so as wickets started to fall and the run rate levelled off. By the change of innings I'd built up around £100 green the pair.

Pakistan came out in a positive mood and got off to a flyer in their innings. Cracking stuff to watch and the market started moving fast. As the scoreboard ticked over boundaries and wickets had a big effect on the market. In fact it became very volatile with several flip flops. A great opportunity to make a lot of cash for traders. But to be honest I didn't have a clue which way the game was going to go. So rather than risk my hard-earned green in a very volatile market I ended up leaving it mostly alone, taking out some insurance on the tie, and enjoying the match as I got on with some writing work.

Guess you could say I bottled it as braver traders than me could, and no doubt did, make big profits from the constant huge swings. I didn't want to lose all the green I'd built up though over a few hours in the space of 5-10 minutes. I did get involved occaisionally. 30 balls to go for example. I layed Pakistan at 1.51 for small stakes. Next ball they were 1.33. With swings like that on each ball it was possible to make big profits - but also lose all the green built up earlier in no time at all.

Pakistan eventually won the game - a great team effort considering all the circumstances. And it was a great game too that went pretty much to the wire. Enjoyable to watch and fantastic to trade. Here's hoping the other matches in the tournament are as good.

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bet Angel.....Learn to trade

No comments: