Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Tiredness, a late call and a loss

Daily Result: £28.95

I enjoy trading tennis but just sometimes it can really frustrate and today was most definitely a case in hand. A few hours looking in and out of the ATP Paris Masters left me around £150 up and looking at calling it a day. At which point I promptly blew the green in around 15 minutes finishing with a £30 loss on the day. Not the smartest move I'll ever make!

Everything started ok with a nice profit on the Chela v Srichaphan game. Could have been a lot more with Srichaphan's retirement but I chose to play it safe. Made a bit on the Benneteau v Santoro match too but stopped trading it half way through. I'm not one who subscribes to the constant "fix" theories on the Betfair Tennis Forum and don't believe this match was at all. But anyone who traded it will know what I mean when I say it was just a very odd game. So I decided to just green out and leave it.

Ended up doing my money on the Safin v Soderling match. All started going wrong when I thought Safin had won a point to leave a couple of break points. I submitted a back at 1.43 just in time to hear a rather late "Out" call. So I waited the dreaded 5 seconds to see if I'd been matched and I had. A split second before the price shot out to 1.62! Safin then lost the game - and was 0-40 in the next which all left me in a position of being £115 red the pair.

Managed to work that down to £70 the pair before Safin went a break down in the second set. A couple of poor trades left me around £180 red the pair. At which point I realised I was tired and not making the best trading decisions. So I decided to just leave it. Accept the £30 loss on the day. And switch the computer off. Sure, I could have continued trading. Reduced the loss or even turned a profit. But having made two or three trades in a row which I'd had to bail out on for a loss I realised I could also lose a lot more.

Annoying as it is I don't mind losing the £30. It's a lot better than losing £300. Might seem a bit of a negative attitude but sometimes when you're getting tired and your concentration isn't quite what it should be it's just best to call it a day.

I guess you could say minds just aren't as sharp!

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bet Angel.....Learn to trade

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMVHO, it's not negative at all, it's actually quite positive to be able to accept today it's not going to happen, and just keeping a slight drawback to a manageable level, it means that the next day will be back to profit quickly. Nice one.

Shambolic

The Betfair Trader said...

Cheers Shambolic. You're right of course. Dealing well with the losses / bad events is just as much a part of the game as enjoying the wins / good events.

Anonymous said...

BTW wasn't meaning my comment to sound like breaking news! Just realised it maybe did, and didn't want it to sound like that. Semms a couple are struggling at the mo, John 'Gambler' is walking through treacle, and you've taken a couple of hits. But I think of losses as the expenses of the trade, we don't have any other real 'overheads' to speak of. I try to work on my psycology and thought processes a lot as I feel that's what can seperate me from other BFers. And more importantly, keep going....

Shambolic

The Betfair Trader said...

Yes, had a couple of poor days now - and noticed John had had his first losing month of the year too. But the profit line is moving in the right direction so can take the set backs as long as there aren't too many.

Didn't come across at all that it was breaking news so don't worry! Good to hear someone else's opinion to be honest.

The importance of physchology is underrated I reckon. Can save you from big losses and chases. Did a post on it a few months back. Not sure if you saw it but if you didn't it's here and you may find it interesting.