Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Quick trading update

Result since last update: £439.31

Been a little snowed under for the last few days and not got round to updating the blog as often as I'd like so apologies for that. Everything is settling down again now though and things should be returning to normal. We had a couple of day trips away over the bank holiday weekend and managed to get lots more stuff sorted for the wedding. I did manage to fit in some trading here and there to help top the funds for the big day up though. But best of all though my mum is due out of hospital this evening so that's great news. :-)

On the trading front I had a dip into several events for varying periods of time. Had a disappointing result of around £10 profit on the Australia v England match. At one point I was well over £100 green the pair but managed to screw up in the Aussie run chase. Made up for that a little when I got back from Birmingham on the Monday with a quick £80 or so in the Ireland v New Zealand match and most the rest came from yesterday's game between the West Indies and South Africa.

It turned out to be another abject display from the Windies but was also a cracking match to watch during the South African innings. Boucher hit 46 from 16 balls before going on to make 52 from 23 balls and Kallis let rip with 81 from 86 balls (and was well above a 100 Strike Rate for most of his innings) But star of the show was AB de Villiers whose 146 for a strike rate of over 112 also marked his debut ODI century.

It wasn't so much the fact that he made a century so quickly that was impressive though - but rather the way in which he accelerated towards the end of his innings. Racked with cramp, he first took a runner, and then was then being picked up of the pitch by teammates for another crack at the bowling after collapsing each time he sent the ball crashing over the boundary. Forget cricket, it was like watching baseball as he smashed six after six while being barely able to walk properly. It made for sensational viewing. And still people say cricket is boring!

Anyway, I'm getting ready for this afternoon's match between Bangladesh and England now. Have a small green on England already and am hopeful of making another profit. Just want to get a proper look at the pitch / catch the toss news before getting too involved. At the moment everything seems to be pointing to a good batting track which should hopefully reduce the impact of the 3 left arm spinners in the Bangladesh ranks and should make an England victory more likely. That said you just never know in cricket. And it's not as if Bangladesh haven't provided a surprise or two already this tournament! Best of luck if you get involved anyway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you make of the WI odds towards the end of the SA innings?
When Boucher was going for it, a couple of times I swear the SA odds went up a point or so!
I thought 1.1 was a gift, but having gone green, I didn't take any more.
Mayber a case of "if it's too good to be true, it probably is!"

What happens after your wedding with the trading? Will you be saving up for anything else???

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Dave,

There were a few strange price movements yes. I think throughout the SA innings, but especially towards the end, the market just had too much faith in the West Indies ability to make the chase. So we had instances of a single pushing the price out because it wasn't another boundary.

That said the Windies are just a strange team. Heads were obviously down in the field. And decent chases haven't been their forte recently. But everyone knows that on their day they are capable. I think what we saw at the end of the SA innings was people on at a higher price taking their considerable profit before seeing how the Windies started before getting involved again. Afterall, Gayle could have come out all guns blazing and the market would have drifted very quickly.

As for after the wedding. Yes, I will carry on trading. And probably carry on with the blog. Not decided how yet but have some ideas.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are going to continue with the trading! I have started to get more involved with the cricket markets as a result of this blog. I am enjoying trading the cricket and seem to be having some success with it to.

I hope you continue in some form with the blog its a great read! I started a betfair trading website a few months ago but never really finished it. If you were thinking of expanding the blog you are very welcome to pretty much have the site and I will help out with any of the design etc etc. Just ask me for my contact details if you are interested! Anyway back to the trading! Not much for us today (Aus - Ire) I feel, however if australia bat first I may get involved in the runs market. The match odds market is a non starter!

Look forward to reading your results for yesterdays results. I saw you post on the betfair forum that you got caught on the wrong side of the 2nd wicket stealing ticks! I was playing the same game but wasn't in the market when the wicket came!

Jonathan

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Jonathan,

Yes, got caught with my hand in the cookie jar! Hate it when it happens but is inevitable at some point I guess. Had my main outright position to fall back on to but never great when you get caught out.

Not sure I'll be able to get involved in the Aussie / Ireland match. Lot to do Friday and it doesn't seem the most appealing of games to get involved with though the innings runs is undoubtedly the place to be looking. If yo do get involved I hope your good results continue. Cricket is certainly a great sport to trade and there's plenty of matches throughout the year.

As for the your website I would be interested in discussing that with you as I'm in a similar position! If you email me (my details are at the bottom of the right hand column) we can have a chat.