Monday, April 23, 2007

Taking a few days off

Result since last update: £58.61

Mentioned a few days ago that I've felt I needed a bit of a break from trading recently so that's what I'm doing. Haven't been feeling that fresh recently when I've sat down to trade and have been finding I'm losing interest and concentration part way through some longer events and that is in turn leading to mistakes.

I've been here before and a few days getting on with something else and not looking in on Betfair normally does the trick. Recharge the batteries and all that. So after Saturday's cricket match between West Indies and England I decided I wouldn't get involved in anything until the two semi finals this week, and then probably take another few days off until the final.

Bit of a shame as the Snooker World Championship has started and the early matches often provide good opportunities. I might take a look later in the week if I'm feeling fresher but will probably leave until after the Cricket World Cup final. I've taken a position on Mark Williams on the outright market in the 30s at the suggestion of a friend who knows more about snooker than I ever will. Reckons Williams has been tearing it up in practice sessions recently and is worth backing with a view to trading at a later date. Or even as an each way shot with a normal bookie. Guess we'll see. His first round match is tomorrow against Joe Swail so I'll look out for that result.

As for the West Indies v England game. Again, I started to lose concentration and interest in the actual trading side of it and mainly ended up just watching from that point. Cracking match. And one which saw crazy volatility near the end so I probably would have been sat well out of it anyway for the most part. England won, Michael Vaughn finally got an innings, Pietersen got another century and Stuart Broad again showed he's got a bright future.

The game was really all about Brian Lara though. He was promoted up the order and came in at no.3 after Gayle and Smith had got the West Indies of to a great start. Unfortunately there was no fairy tail ending to his last ever international match and he was unceremoniously run out by Samuels on just 18. He was, however, rightly given a standing ovation both onto and off the field and has probably only just finished his post-match lap of honour! I'd been up to £300 green both sides during the match but wasn't trading well and showing a distant lack of patriotism I was keeping my fingers crossed for the tie by the end as that would have netted me over £500 instead of the £60 or so I made! Still, good to see Duncan Fletcher get a win in his last match in charge of the England.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning BT. Wise move taking a few days off, when one feels a bit jaded. Trying to stay inside the "Zone" for long periods is extremely dangerous. I take a two week holiday at the end of May and another at the end of November. This hepls me recharge those flat batteries, plus if I am doing other stuff i.e. Scuba Diving. I won't be tempted to have a quick dapple. Enjoy your time off. Sad Act

Anonymous said...

I was kind of feeling the same way. I didn't really feel like trading the west indies england game. I turned my computer on had a look at the odds, put a couple of positions in, took a couple of ticks loss on the west indies side and thought bugger it! Went straight to the pub with some friends to watch the man u game and spent the rest of the evening in the pub. Expected the west indies to finish england off and to take a small loss.

Around 12ish we stumbled into some bar that had the highlights on and to my surprise I watched england smack the ball all over the park and come away with a win and in the process wipe my red. I made a beeline for the bar to celebrate!

Looked at the snooker last night but the liquidity doesn't seem very good. I saw quite a few people complaining in the forum about it but hopefully as the competition progresses the liquidity may get better? It was the first time I have looked at snooker so I was only trading with minimal amounts but came out green on 2 matches so a pretty good result.

A few days off and you will be sharp and ready for the semi finals. Its always good to recharge the batteries.

The bad news is my software trial ended yesterday so I decided to take the plunge and go for an annual package which was pretty painful. Also means I'm stuck trading for at least another 12 months!

Anyway look forward to hearing from you when you get back to trading

Jonathan

STST said...

I'm not following your mates snooker advice ever again! Bought his highest break in the match @ 100 and I blame you! :p

The Betfair Trader said...

Cheers Sad Act. There's no doubt a break can sharpen the old mind again!

Jonathan> You got a result in that windies game! The software can seem a little expensive if you buy it all upfront but you seem to be making consistent profits so if you're planning on continuing trading it makes sense. Good luck!

I haven't looked in on the snooker yet so not sure about liquidity though did notice it was down, especially in frame betting, in the last tournament I got involved with. I prefer the match markets there and don't really mind the increased delay. Can understand why it bothers many though.

STST> Me neither! Cost me £100. Funny, when he said it I replied Williams has been shit for years as his price suggests. But was convinced he's finally taking the game more seriously again and had been knocking in maximums and runs of century breaks for fun on the practise table. Guess with only two wins under his belt he's just lacking confidence. Don't doubt the validity of the info - I've had some good wins based on tips from the same guy in the past - so I'll just put it all down to an uneven table! ;-)