Friday, April 20, 2007

Jaded trading but a treat to look forward to

Result since last update: £492.71

At the start of the Cricket World Cup I mentioned that with over 50 matches in a 6 week period there was enough action for even the most degenerate trader! So I guess it's a blessing in disguise that it all finally got a bit much yesterday as I can now lay claim to not being totally debauched!

Including today's I've now been involved in 33 of the matches so far. Admittedly some only for a short period but many for large parts, if not all, of the game. Anyway, I've been feeling a bit jaded with the trading for the last few days - even to the point where I'd start doing a great tennis match to trade and then just get out and leave it - and yesterday I decided I needed a break. Guess the long hours of working in the morning and trading a cricket match when I'm done finally took it's toll. Well, either that or I'm a lightweight! Anyway, after a few hours in the West Indies v Bangladesh game I decided I'd had enough and had to leave it despite everything pointing to a perfect position for a big win if I carried on. So I levelled off for around a £60 green and arranged for a night out.

This morning I decided I'd take a couple of days away from trading to recharge the batteries but would do the two remaining Super 8s games, today's Australia v New Zealand match and tomorrow's West Indies v England game first. I'll probably take a few days off after the World Cup has finished too. Anyway, back to today. So I went for a swim and a good walk and made sure I was feeling fresh before the match started. Turned into a game of two halves really (if I may borrow a cliche from another sport!) The first half I traded like a dream and was £600 green either side. The second I traded as badly as I'd done the first half well and ended up losing nearly £200 of the green. End result is, with some tennis thrown in yesterday - which again I found I didn't have the real appetite to do and just left - I've won just under £500 since my last update a few days ago. A pleasing result really given the circumstances.

Looking forward to tomorrow's West Indies v England game. I will trade at least some of it. But to be honest this particular game is not all about the trading. There's been a lot of news about the two teams recently and it's hard to believe it will be Brian Lara's last ever international match. A sad day for the sport. It's an overused phrase but he really is a legend in the game. I'd been looking forward to seeing him tour England one last time starting next month but alas it's not to be. He's sure to get a hero's send off in Barbados and I'm equally sure the ground will be absolutely packed. Stand by for some emotional scenes.

Of course there's been news in the England camp too. It will be Duncan Fletcher's last game in charge. In the light of recent results it's been all too easy to forget just what Fletcher has helped England achieve. Perhaps ODI performances never quite hit the highpoints but his test match record is superb and I'm sure history will quite rightly look kindly on his reign as England coach.

Anyway, enjoy the match if you watch it. There might not be much to play for but it's going to be some occasion and the atmosphere will most definitely finally be carnival like! Even the Barmy Army will no doubt be drowned out by the West Indian fans as they send off one of their cricketing heros. Though I'm equally sure they too will be paying their respects to the great Brian Lara.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about all this constant trading.
I've taken 2 weeks off work to trade on the cricket(yes, I have nothing better to do with my holiday entitlement!!) and I'm actually looking forward to going back to work next week!
I'd often thought about doing it full time - I remember reading one of your posts a while ago about full time trading and I think you're spot - It is hard work!
But I've managed to double my original stake (which I have now withdrawn), so I have a nice amount to play with for the rest of the summer.
Onwards & upwards!!

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Dave,

Good to hear you've had a good run with the results. Are you planning to do much of the Twenty20 and Pro40 this summer?

Funny isn't it how even such an enjoyable hobby can get too much sometimes. It is good to have a break every now and then. Keep the old mind sharp! More seriously I also think there's a lot in the fit body fit mind idea.

Btw, anyone interested in the post Dave refers to about going full time on Betfair can read it in that link. Be warned though, reading it again it's quite negative!

Anonymous said...

I'll be doing the FP Trophy & Pro 40 & England one dayers.
I will be doing the 20/20, but I will be carful, I do find it can be very volatile, a bit like tennis! (which I avoid like the plague!)
I will also avoid test matches, I just don't like the draw factor.

Hope the Eng/WI game goes well for you. Still can't make my mind up who to back, think I'll wait a while before taking the plunge.