Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Back to winning ways

Daily Result: £89.60

Always good to have a winning day after a losing one so pleased to claw back some of yesterday's loss and get the wedding funds heading in the right direction again. Didn't really get too involved in anything today. Just had a quick look into a few markets as the day went along.

The cricket today was Ireland v Sri Lanka which made for a very short priced jolly. Which became unbackable long before Ireland, who were batting first, went from 28-0 to 77 all out. I made a small amount on the outright market and a little more on the Irish innings runs by laying 200 but was never properly involved.

Instead I'd decided to do some tennis figuring it was a better proposition. I started doing the Gasquet v Hrbaty game from the Monte Carlo Masters but realised pretty quickly that I simply wasn't in the mood so just levelled out my green and left it.

Emma was out for the evening so I decided to get involved in the West Ham v Chelsea match. Regular readers will know that I don't normally trade football matches and have admitted in the past this is because I can't find a way to consistently win. However, since the start of April I have been trying something new and gave it go again last night. It's early days yet and everything is to small stakes. Infact my biggest win has been £3.85. The amounts aren't really the point though. Since April 3 I've now traded 12 football markets and not lost on one. There's a long way to go yet, and I'm not convinced what I'm doing will work long term, but perhaps maybe, at long last, there might just be a bit of light at the end of the football trading tunnel!

Anyway, tomorrow's cricket is the West Indies v Bangladesh. The Windies seem a little skinny at 1.22 but there again I can't see the Bangladesh batsmen fancying the track. Both teams are already out of the competition so if I do get involved it will be cautiously to start with. The tennis might prove a better option yet. Probably get my day's normal work out the way and then watch the start of the cricket and make a decision from there about what to spend my time doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi BT,

Excellent blog. One question I have - do you prefer either Racing Traders or Bet Angel as a trading tool?

I've used Bet Angel Basic and the 1 month trial but feel that to commit to a 1 year subs was to much money (personally speaking!), the racing trader platform has a monthly buy option which seems pretty good.

Anway - just after an opinion from somebody who might be in the know?

Cheers Keeron.

p.S. GL with the wedding, got married myself 18 months ago to an Emma (not the same as your's I don't think ;o) ) - and can honestly say its the best thing I've done.

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Keeron,

(Belated) congratulations on your big day and thanks for your kind words. Hope married life is treating you well sir!

The software question is a little tricky. I've used both Bet Angel and
Bet Trader PRO. And still do. As you say you've had a free trial of Bet Angel so realise the benefits the trading software has over the traditional Betfair interface. I think the answer as to which is the best ultimately comes down to which provides the best interface / functionality for your own trading methods.

I'd say Bet Angel is probably the more comprehensive product with more features and functionality. It is a great piece of software as you've seen. It also enables you to program bots through Excel and has the advantage of two connection modes. Both through the API and the website. Meaning you can still use Bet Angel when the API goes down by simply logging in again.

That said when I fire up the computers to start trading my trading software of choice is currently
Bet Trader PRO. This is for the sole reason that the interface and functionality suits the way I trade the best. It might not have all the bells and whistles that Bet Angel has but I trade totally manually and like the ladder interface as it shows a greater depth of market than the usual one. Admittedly both Bet Angel and Bet Trader PRO have a ladder interface. But the Bet Trader one has a few advantages for me that basically come down to little more than ease of use that ultimately enables me to get my trades into the market quicker. Specifically these are 1) A net button. So if , for example, I am partially filled on an order and want to lay it for the same amount a second or two later I already have a preset button enabling me to do that which makes my trading easier and faster 2) More of my trading history is available on one page so I don't have to keep flicking. 3) Bet Trader PRO's ladder interface has a range of user-set betting stakes. This just makes it easier to get a trade in if you want to get involved for a different stake as you don't have to type the amount in each time.

So as you can see the differences are minor and my preference comes down to the way I trade. I know other people who prefer Bet Angel for similar reasons. It suits what they want to do better. I guess this comes down to what the two software packages were originally designed for. Bet Angel is a more rounded trading platform. Bet Trader PRO (aka Racing Traders) was originally designed basically for scalping horse racing markets before the off. So functions like the net button were essential.

Anyway, hope that helps and if anyone else has an opinion please leave a comment with your reasons. Just one more quick point. I believe you can now pay for Bet Angel monthly too saving you the upfront year subscription if you'd prefer to do that.

I've done some blog entries on the two pieces of software, and their free trials, and they are available here, (note the competition is now closed) and here. (The 500 free minute offer is still available)