Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Fame fame fatal fame

Daily Result: £61.18

As the great Mozzer himself once sung fame can play hideous tricks on the brain. But as I doubt doing my first interview will lift me from my current no mark situation I'm pretty confident my brain won't be experiencing anything too nasty in the near future! That said, it's nice that someone involved in the gaming industry who reads the blog was interested enough to want to ask a few questions. So if suffering my daily ramblings is your cup of tea you might like to read the interview. Many thanks to the guys at Hyperion for getting in touch and boosting my ego. :-)

Anyway, today I skipped the social whirl of envelope openings my new found celebrity status afforded me to do a spot of trading on the French Open. Did the second set of the Baghdatis v Grosjean game and then took a look in on the Henman match. A small profit on each keeps the honeymoon funds ticking over. Some of these places in the Maldives look like paradise. Shame the price ticket is anything but. :-(

The Henman match was pretty interesting even if mainly for the wrong reasons. I'd never seen Gulbis play before but it pretty soon became apparent that he had some heavy ground strokes and wasn't afraid to go for his winners. Henman seemed to struggle against the power and it was no surprise to see Gulbis wrap the match up in 3. Pretty sure we'll see Henman retiring when his Wimbledon finishes.

I made around £37 on the match but it should have been more. At one point I went to back Gulbis and lay Henman at the same time. Both trades got filled and I was all smiles as the price immediately rocketed in my direction. Until I noticed the very red number next to Gulbis! Turns out I'd backed both players at the same time. Doh! Took a bit of work to sort that out as the Henman trade had been bigger but I guess all's well that ends well. Thankfully I was only trading small stakes and it's a good reminder of the dangers of letting concentration slip.

Anyway, must dash. Got to keep one step ahead of those pesky paps! ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read the interview with great interest. The one thing that stuck with me was downtime and leaving open large positions that you cannot close. As traders we willingly get into these to close them out soon afterwards - if this "soon afterwards" doesn't happen due to downtime, losses quickly accumulate.

If I look at my biggest losses, I see a pattern: the biggest was caused by our favourite friend, "lack of dicipline", the next two biggest losses happenned during BF downtime. The first can be changed, the others I feel powerless about.

I can excuse higher comission charges if the extra money is used to get to 99.999% uptime. If used for extra "features" (which most of us won't use) and is being bandied about by BF as an incentive (read their mails on the subject on the forums) I fear that we need to get a competing exchange. Where are the priorities?

Keep up the great work.

Rob said...

Interesting interview, your fame is spreading! Good luck with Big Brother -- I'm not a fan myself and will probably be sticking to the tennis. Quite happy with my performance this month - ended up making almost 10 times my original target for May. Hope you can have a look in on my blog.