Monday, June 04, 2007

cricket and tennis trading

Result since last update: £316.83

Not been too involved again trading wise since the last update. Weather just seems to be too good and I've had a couple of busy days on the work front. Still, have had the opportunity to look in on one cricket and one tennis match which helped save a little more towards the honeymoon.

The cricket was great. Wish all the matches could be like that! I missed the start of the match between Surrey and Essex and didn't get involved until Essex were 122/2. My first trade was a £500 back of Essex which triggered a mini batting collapse. I dumped the trade for a loss as the innings stalled and ended up effectively leaving the game with around £20 green either side before the end of the innings.

I didn't return to the match until Surrey needed 57 from 51 balls with 4 wickets in hand. With the ball being smashed around the park I just followed the Surrey price in for a while. Laying when they got short on the hope of wickets. The result was when 30 were needed from 24 I was £100 green both sides, and £220 each side when it was 20 from 19. Basically left it there apart form nicking a few ticks when a wicket fell at something like 12 runs needed from 13.

Anyway, Surrey failed to make the chase and a 1.02 shot was overturned. (They'd traded that low before I got involved again!) End result was I picked up £227.85, although gave £16.83 away on some tie insurance. It all got very volatile towards the end and was pretty exciting to watch. Looks like it was a great match to trade though. Wish I'd stuck with it.

The tennis match I traded was Djokovic v Verdasco. Again I picked it as the one to trade as it gave me an opportunity to try out the new trading strategy I'd come up with. Made £105 on the match though most trading took part in the first set which provided the best opportunity to trial the idea again. All seemed to be good again so I'll be on the look out for future matches. Djokovic won the match in straight sets though after the relatively quickfire first two sets of 42 and 44 minutes the third got bogged down a little taking 72 before the tie break. I stuck with the entire match though trading normally in the third set. Pleased with the profit.

What else? Well, it's the third test between England and West Indies on Thursday. I've layed the draw at 3.35. Just thought it was too short given my interpretation of the weather sites. Was trying to lay at 3.25 for a while but decided not to make the same mistake I made last time and miss the price for the sake of a few extra ticks. 3.35 was still a good price to lay at the time I felt.

As for Big Brother, well, I'm tiny all green on all runners! Missed some nice price movements but have hardly seen the show at all. Said at the start I wouldn't be involved that much this year for obvious reasons. Not going to waste time specifically doing it. Will just get involved for small amounts when something obvious presents itself. So no nice big prices in the hundreds for me at silly o'clock in the morning this year round when the house melts down. That said I did catch some late night live stuff the other day and immediately got on Charley as 1st evictee as a result. Think she's likely to be nominated. And if she is her price will plummet further. Of course, there's no guarantee she will be though so might just green my book out before Ziggy does the deed. The price is very skinny now and I'm not trying for big results on it this year. Any green at all will just be a welcome bonus.

Right, that's it. Might have a look in on the French Open again tomorrow. Best of luck with your own betting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi bf trader
congratulations on a really inspirational blogg!! i have been following your blogg for quite a while and it has inspired me to try and make money from all the trading stuff. being new to all this, i would be gratefull if you could give me a few tips on trading tennis. one thing i tend to do is lay the favourite whilst serving, but wondered if you could expand on that. any advice would be greatly appreciated!! on the wedding front, i wish you good luck, having recently tied the knot myself and now a baby on the way, i can honestly say its GREAT!!

Anonymous said...

my mistake, i lay the favourite when not serving!!

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi anonymous.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not sure if you've since seen it but someone else asked the same question yesterday and I've put an answer in the comments of that blog entry. (June 2)

Anonymous said...

bf

3 questions:

1. Do you tend to trade cricket with the trend and tennis in a 'contrarian' fashion? - or do you use a similar style for both.

2. Is there a difference in time disadvantage between tennis and cricket. Can you play tennis on a level playing field with a finger hovering over 'cancel' if necessary without knowing you're going to be hit everytime.

best of luck

Paul
"trader pj"

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi PJ. Sorry for the tardy reply. Missed the post!

I trade both looking for trends but also willing to take contrarian positions where I think they're worth taking. My positions in tennis are usually much shorter term though.

I have been picked off in tennis. Eurosport 2 especially bad. I tend to avoid matches only on Eurosport now and have also been reassession my approach to tennis trading. I'm certainly more cautious in tennis than cricket if leaving prices up.

You didn't ask a 3rd question!