Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Trading software

Going to be pretty busy today and not going to get the chance to trade so thought I'd quickly take the time to answer a few questions.

Most emails I've been receiving ask me either how I trade, what trading software I use, or both.

I'll look at the how I trade question another time but of course there are others out there who obviously use bigger banks, make more than me and no doubt trade far more efficiently than me so I wouldn't pay too much attention to me on that!

As for the trading software I use it's BetTrader Pro, the Racing Traders product. I've actually used just about all the official Betfair partner products, past and present, as well as an unofficial one but have always returned to BetTrader Pro as I just prefer the interface. It's clean, not overly complicated but still has the functionality that enables me to do what I need to.

Basically the software has real time updated prices (it refreshes far quicker than once a second) can work on a ladder interface so visually it's easy to see just how far prices are moving, and has a one click trading option - essential in fast moving markets like the tennis and cricket ones I trade. There's stacks of other features too including a hedge button to leave equal green (or red!), live trading graphs showing the volumes of trades, total matched info, live probability of winning display and, of course, access to all the Betfair markets.

To be honest it's the ladder format, refresh rate and one click trading that sells it to me though. The software is just the most suited to my style of trading. I know some people make good money trading through the original Betfair interface, perhaps with a faster market refresh rate installed, but I simply couldn't do what I do on the original interface. Just couldn't enter all the info and hit submit in time. One click just makes everything so much easier.

One other advantage is the software works through the Betfair API meaning, if you have a normal web connection open too, you have two ways to access Betfair to cancel trades incase either the API or Website go down.

Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a salesman so I'll leave it there. I get the impression most people who use it tend to trade racing but I obvioulsy don't. For those who want to, or want to find out more about it, there is a new forum where users of the software get together to chat so you may find that useful if you have any questions.

No comments: