Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Worst losing day

Daily Result: £602.04

Hmm. Not a great day. In fact my biggest losing day since starting the blog. I suppose the good news is I didn't break my recent
record loss for an event. The bad news is I just screwed up on more than one event! Apart from nicking a few quid trading short odds games in the US Open I managed two heavy losses, had a 3 figure green wiped out when a cricket match was abandoned due to rain - and managed to place a 1k bet not only on the wrong tennis player - but a player in a different match from the one I meant too!!

England v Pakistan 1st ODI
Well, given that it was abandoned and I didn't take out any insurance on the completed match market I won't say too much on this one. I didn't actually trade it that well and only had a small 3-figure green on a Pak win - the result I thought most likely when play was called off. Given the subsequent losses it's annoying but it's not the first time a match has been abandoned and it won't be the last.

US Open - Nalbandian v Berrer £372.18
Or Berrer the Bottler as he should be known. Truth is I only got involved in this match because the cricket was at that point delayed by the rain. So I had a flick, made a few quid here and there and came across this match. Now I've made the mistake of flicking to a new game and getting involved too early without having a proper appreciation of how the match was going before so I sat and watched this one for 5-6 games. Berrer was on fire, and when he broke Nalbandian in the 4th set to go 4-2 up I got involved.

Big mistake. I took 1.2x about him. To win the match he had to hold his serve twice. Of course, he immediately dropped his serve. And then called for the trainer. And then dropped his next serve. And then lost the set. Which all left me in a tricky situation. When he dropped his serve and the trainer appeared Berrer's price was around 2.5. Literally just rocketed out in a matter of seconds. It turned out the trainer was just for a bit of cramp so rather than tie in a big loss I decided to wait till the end of the set. Afterall, Berrer might break Nalbandian back. Or, failing that, if the remaining games went to serve he could win the match on the tie break.

Anyway, he lost the set by dropping his serve again (infact he only held 2 out of 6 service games after I placed my bet on him!) and, just before Nalbandian broke serve again in the final set, I was left backing him at roughly the same odds I'd backed Berrer at. Ouch.

Kendrick v Murray £258.04
Annoyed with this one. The Scottish Sulker's games have been great to trade this summer and I've made a fair bit on them. But I screwed this one up from what should have been a healthy all green position.

I actually got involved in this one as I wanted to bet 1k on Blake in his game at 1.03 and had the wrong screen open in the trading software I use and ended up backing Murray at 1.03 instead. Now that takes a special kind of stupidity!

I ended up bailing from the Murray trade at 1.13, and then laying him at 1.14 and 1.27 as Kendrick started destroying him in the second set. By the time he reached 1.6x towards the end of the set I had a potentially great all green position on the game. But I guess that's where I went wrong. Recently I've been letting my winning trades run longer as a trial and decided to do the same here. Crucially I also made another lay at around 1.6. Anyway, to cut a long story short Murray then took control back and wrapped the match up. But just to entice me not to trade out earlier he was making hard work of his own serve until a break of Kendrick left me facing another substantial loss. Not the best event I'll ever trade this one.

Anyway, as regular readers will know I look through my trading performances regularly and when I find leaks I try and
learn from them. Looking at recent results I've had some shocking tennis losses which has surprised me a little. Tennis has treated me well in the past but today, and the few matches I traded in early July, has left me with a loss on tennis trading for both July and August. Haven't had a losing month on it for a very long time, let alone two in row, which has led me to take another close look at my trading stats. Have found some things worth looking at so will probably do a separate entry on that later.

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bookmaker Free Bets.....Bet365

No comments: