Sunday, September 10, 2006

England v Pakistan 5th ODI

Daily Result: £339.93

Well, I guess if you'd offered me £339.93 at the start of the game I'd have ripped your hand off so ultimately have to be pleased with the result. But I know it should have been at least £200 more. Just can't decide whether to blame England or myself!.

Got myself into a great position during the Pakistan innings and as the wickets fell I let my England position run, as per previous discussions, rather than taking the profit and reopening more positions. Which all left me just shy of £600 green on England, with backs at 1.9x and 1.3x by the time Pakistan had scraped their way to 154 from 50 overs. And with the England price at 1.1 to back it was all looking good.

Strauss and Joyce got the England innings off to a good start and despite a few wickets falling (including one Joyce will want to forget pretty quickly!) the run rate was way above the required rate and the price was soon into 1.0x. With it looking like England were strolling and victory, and not thinking it necessary to trade out,I retired to the garden to soak up some rays and enjoy a cold one for 10 mins or so. Only to return to see the price at 1.4x, with England having lost 3 ridiculously quick wickets.

I figured England would still win but there's always an element of doubt. And if another wicket fell I estimated the price at 1.6x/1.7x which would have been left facing an all red position if I levelled out. So I reduced my Pakistan red to just under £500 (the maximum loss I allow myself) and hoped England could settle things down again.

Another wicket did fall soon after. With less red on Pakistan I probably would have backed England again at the pnew prices available but by then was more than happy to settle for the £300+. With only around 30 runs needed the market was moving pretty quickly and luckily England reached the total easily in the end. But I had failed to back them again so just made the £340.

Anyway, of course I was cursing England when I realised the 3 wickets had fallen quickly. Always seem to make a difficult job of an easy task when I have money at stake! But ultimately I was just being a little greedy. Or stupid. Probably both. Shouldn't have left the match for so long without reducing the Pakistan liability. But didn't want to throw away £50 or so by doing it. While away I later saw England had traded at 1.01! Guess if I'd have been watching the game I may have laid that to get out, and probably another £500 / 1k for the sake of another £5 or £10 off the green. Now that would have made the final daily result interesting!!

But, of course, it's easy to say what I might have done with hindsight. Well done to those who actually did it, dumped their 1.01 lays at up to 1.7ish, stuck with the match and didn't skive off to the garden! Sure their profit on the game will pale mine into insignificance!!

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bookmaker Free Bets.....Bet365

No comments: