Monday, September 11, 2006

A trading nightmare

Daily Result: £259.24

What a day. One of the oddest games of cricket I've ever been involved with - and I must have done something to offend the trading gods who evidently decided it was time to dish out more than a little bad luck in my general direction.

So why was the Pro40 game betweent Nottinghamshire and Warwickshire so strange? Well, apart from little things like it starting early so Betfair didn't put the market in running there were other oddities. Like the umpires temporarily abandoning the game to take the players of the pitch when it wasn't raining when it would have needed just 5 more balls to constitute a completed match. Which was particularly amusing as there had been at least a 15 minute delay earlier while the floodlights were set up and put on. (Surely they knew when it was going to get dark?!)

The umpires actually pulled the players off the pitch for their own safety. Because although it wasn't raining, this being the British summer, there was still very high winds and lightening nearby. Which meant the floodlights also had to be lowered again. And although we were told via the match referee play would continue with low floodlights it didn't. Just like we were earlier told earlier by the match referee there would be a normal break between innings. There wasn't - it was reduced. Then, just as the players were preparing to go on the pitch again it, of course, finally decided to rain! Which all meant that by the time the play did start again, and the floodlights had again been put up, Worcestershire had a ridiculously favourable Duckworth Lewis target to reach. Which they did their best to fail by sacrificing comedy wickets before scraping it. All very odd.

But the real killer was here at home. We had a thunderstorm here. A big one. Which meant first I lost my Sky pictures, then my internet connection and then my entire power supply! Which all left managing my position rather difficult!! The power did come back on, although the Sky+ Box had had enough, refused to work, and is now being replaced on Friday for £60+ quid as I'm "out of warranty, sir." The internet connection, though intermittent, also started working again, though the Betfair forum was having one of its shall I or shan't I work days and it was still not easy to work out what was going on in the game. Anyway, with a few overs to go our normal Sky box started to work and by the end of it all I was lucky to only lose as much as I did.

So between losing the money, spending ages on the phone to Sky's tech bods, downloading new Sky software and trying to fix the box, get an internet connection and work out what the hell was going on in the game itself, it wasn't the best of nights! And, to top it all, I was sniffing like a well supplied cokehead as I've managed to pick up a streaming cold.

Who said this trading lark was easy?!

Popular links: Betfair trading software .....Bookmaker Free Bets.....Bet365

No comments: