Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Twenty20: Aussies destroy England

Daily Result: £203.27

I guess the result in today's Twenty20 wouldn't really have surprised anyone. An Aussie win. But the nature of it might. The Aussies were awesome. Racking up a world record international Twenty20 score of 221 - setting a new world record of 14 for the number of 6s in the process. While the 77 run win was also a world record. It was fantastic stuff. And thrilling to watch - or at least the Aussie innings was!

One look at the Aussie batting line up and it was clear a big score was on the cards. And the tone for innings was set after Anderson's first over was smashed for 14 - which was better than the average 16 per over he finally went for! All the England bowlers suffered though with the best economy rate being 9 per over. (Flintoff and and Collingwood)

Which, of course, meant there were some awesome Aussie strike rates. Hayden had the best with 250 though the average was 179.5!! Several were over 200 with only Clarke below 165 with a paltry 83.33!

Which all made for great viewing, and pretty straightforward trading, until the end of the Aussie innings. With such a monster total to chase England were always going to have to take risks and the obvious happened. Needing 11.1 runs an over from the start England had to play shots and as the rate quickly rose the wickets fell. After just 1.2 overs England were 5 for 2 with Flintoff out. The game was already long over bar a Pietersen miracle - the chances of which faded completely when he ran himself out shortly after. Enabling England to get quietly on with the business of being humbled again by the Aussies.

So any positives from being crushed this time around? Well, it was great to see Vaughan finally leading England out for the first time since his knee injury in December 2005. He was one of England's more successful batsmen on the day, we got a glimpse of the old Vaughan as he despatched the ball round the park and, although he was a little slow between the wickets, at least there was no obvious breakdown. Probably too early to draw any long-term conclusions but fingers crossed.

Other positives? Monty was picked! And all things considered his 2 for 40 was a pretty good performance. At least he looked like a genuine wicket taker as he clean bowled a rampant Gilchrist and beat Hussey for flight having him stumped. And it was Paul Nixon doing the stumping. Following his Twenty20 successes at Leicestershire he's actually the world's most experienced Twenty20 cricketer!! Nice to see him get his international debut, even if he is 36. He showed his was more than competent behind the stumps while his impressive 31 not out with the bat must put him right in the frame as the gloveman for the world cup.

The final positive was, of course, I made a profit. Just over £200 wipes out most of yesterday's loss, puts me back into profit for the month and leaves me within a hair's breadth of reaching the £10k profit mark again. Lots of cricket coming up so hopefully I can break through it for good soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

77 runs was not a record - England beat them by 100 runs last year.

The Betfair Trader said...

You're quite right. Serves me right for being lazy and relying on the summary Sky provided. Funnily enough when I heard it I wondered if the Rose Bowl result was worse but forgot to check.

Thanks for the correction. (And that Rose Bowl result was a great start to the summer / series!)

Anonymous said...

Hi There,
Only new to your blog, which I think is excellant and has educated me and given some positive trading days lately- boy I needed those few days as well.

My question is on the Aus V Eng game how did you post a £200 profit on such a one sided affair, forgive me if it is too obvious and you lumped a massive amount on at 1.20

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi - It was pretty one sided yes but believe it or not the Aussies didn't have the price all their way. After the first over for example, when they had scored "just" six, the price went out to 1.35. That was when I first got in, using a block of £500.

From there I simply used the £500 until around over 4 when I switched to blocks of £1k by which time, after an awful spell from Anderson, they were averaging 8.5 an over. (It was up to 12.16 by 6 overs!) By then I figured the market wasn't going to be too volatile and if it started moving against me I wouldn't get stuck with a big loss.

From there I simply picked my spots to get in and out. I didn't really doubt the Aussies would win but their price did get very short very quickly. Perhaps too short. So I left some positions and got back in on the fall of wickets when the market overreacted - and it did so badly. When Ponting was dropped someone layed the Aussies at far too high a price not realising he wasn't out and I managed to pick some of that up too. :-)

To give a complete picture I started the event with £1k in my Aussie wallet, traded £11,680 and made £203.23 after commission.

Hope that answers your question.