Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cricket World Cup rain

Daily Result: £12.63

Well it finally did it. After weeks of threatening to the supposedly sun soaked West Indies were just plain and simply rain soaked today. So much so that today's match between West Indies and Australia was abandoned and will continue on its official reserve day tomorrow. I had a little moan about the amount of rain we're getting in the world cup the other day but this is really starting to bug me now! We're actually getting less rain in England!!

Apart from the time sat just waiting and working out revised Duckworth Lewis targets the real annoyance with this is that when the match resumes tomorrow it'll clash with the Sri Lanka v South Africa game which promises to be a cracker. I'll probably end up finishing off the West Indies game now and then doing the second innings of the Lankan match. A lost profit opportunity either way.

Anyway, no result in the cricket accounts for the small green today. Made that on an innings runs market and messing around on some tennis during rain interruptions. In the main outright market I'm sat with £150 green each team so it's not all bad. And means I could just leave it and concentrate on the Sri Lanka match if I decide to.

The irony is I made more of that £150 equal green in five minutes trading the weather at the end of the day than I did in five interrupted hours of trading the cricket! So I guess that's compensation for the weather! Id still rather just be able to trade a match without interruptions though and be able to do each match in full rather than miss some as I will tomorrow.

Finally, a bit of a shocker in the tennis when I got up this morning. (Like today I sometimes write these the following morning). Rodger Federer lost to qualifier Guillermo Canas. Again. For the second time in two weeks! I missed the start of the game and Federer being broken in the first set but had a quick mess around on the match none the less and and left it tiny all green. Kind of wish I'd stayed up for it now. Sounds like it was a great match to trade. As well as being another wake up call for the "Free Money Bank of Fed" types!

3 comments:

Dazza said...

I've just started trading on the Tennis (any tips appreciated!) for small stakes and traded the Federer v Canas match. I didn't start watching it until the start of the second set but thought from his body language that he was struggling.

I greened up before going to bed but left it all on the Federer side so came away with nothing in the end.

The Betfair Trader said...

Hi Dazza,

Hope you're enjoying the tennis trading. Fed didn't somehow seem all there yesterday did he.

As for tips I don't like to give lectures or anything like that, and there are others who are far better at tennis trading than me, but I did discuss a very basic tennis trading strategy in the comments section of that link if you haven't seen that.

From what I can see you got the main thing right though - and that was green out before you crashed for the night. I was tempted to leave all my small green on Fed and a small red on the other side but greened out too. Means you might not win (or lose) as much as quickly but helps ensure small consistent profits. And for me that's what it's all about.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

What are your top 5 tips for cricket trading? I am using the world cup to learn how the markets react to different events and so far it has been very interesting. Also, how big a part, if any, do statistics play in your trading?

Keep up the good work. This really is amn excellent blog and thank you for answering my question on rugby trading a while back.

Andy