Thursday, March 22, 2007

First decent profit of the world cup

Daily Result: £373.89

Well it's taken a while but I've finally managed to pull a good result out of the hat for the cricket world cup. Made most the days profit in the Netherlands win over Scotland. The irony is once again I showed why I don't do tips as yesterday I said I fancied Scotland to win! To be fair I did mention I thought their price was too short and as such, after taking toss news, weather and pitch conditions into account my first trade of the match was a lay of Scotland. They lost a wicket in the second ball of their innings and from there on it was the Netherlands all the way.

For a match billed as the unofficial world cup between the minnow nations it was all a little disappointing really. Scotland just failed to turn up and were lucky to make 136 after being reduced to 8 for 83 after losing their first four wickets for 15. Considering the Netherlands dropped two sitters in the slips, another catch behind and a simple stumping the match really should have been even more embarrassing for the Scots.


Perhaps even more surprising than an easy 8 wicket victory for the Netherlands was the behaviour of the market throughout much of the match. Put simply it was massively favouring Scotland for considerable periods, despite the actual reality of what was happening in the game. It was the same before the match, which is why I mentioned I thought the price was too short. During the game itself there's just so many examples of prices that didn't just look wrong but plain and simply were wrong. Anyway, it all led to much discussion on various cricket betting forums. Perhaps the best example I can give is when Scotland were batting, deep in trouble, with the Netherlands priced at 1.28. A single wide ball pushed their price out to 1.32!

Anyway, it's good to finally get a decent win under my belt. And because the match finished early I was able to make a small profit on the darts in the evening too. The win takes me through the £12k profit mark since I started the blog for the first time. Small fry to many on Betfair I know. But I'm pretty pleased with how it's going and I remain hopeful that rather than making just a substantial contribution to the wedding as I'd first planned I might just cover the entire cost, including honeymoon. Progress has been slow this year but hopefully today's win will mark the start of a nice winning run as the world cup prepares to enter its more competitive stages. Tomorrow's India v Sri Lanka match certainly looks a cracker!

No comments: