Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cricket world cup: The minnows bite back

Daily Result: £109.05

Well well well. Who'd have thought it. Both Bangladesh and Ireland winning yesterday. Against India and Pakistan. Now that would have been a nice win double!! Effectively it means both teams are through to the Super 8s, unless Zimbabwe can pull a shock win of their own out of the bag. It also rates as one of the all time great embarrassments for Indian cricket, possibly the greatest ever results wise for Pakistani cricket. And of course, means there's a hell of a lot of sore Irish heads around this morning with the win coinciding with St Patricks day as it did. :-)

Results wise I made on ok profit and it means I'm now into the green for the Cricket World Cup after a poor start. Truth is though I wasn't really involved that much in either match. And really should have made a few hundred more when I did finally enter the markets.

Missed the start of the games as I was out trying on groom outfits for the wedding with my best man. After a quick waist measurement we both decided to join a gym straight after! Still, at least it has a bar. :-) When I did get back the Betfair API was down. So I played a bit of poker, had the games on in the background and placed the odd trade through the normal Betfair interface. Was barely involved though until later in the evening when the API had been up for a while, I thought it was stable and both Bangladesh and Ireland were into their run chases.


Made around £95 on the Bangladesh match but my attention was mainly on the Ireland game. Really should have made around £400 instead of the £12 I did. Was in a great position, thought I had all bases covered and then learned another trading lesson. Basically I was nicely green Ireland with a largeish red Pakistan when the players went off for poor light. As they did I ploughed in to the Ireland price. My thinking was there was unlikely to be more play, and even if there was I'd simply get out if it looked like the covers were being removed.

So I sat there watching the square on interactive tv when suddenly the price leapt out. I assumed something must have happened but as the covers were on couldn't work out what. Until of course it became clear the Sky Sports shot of the square wasn't live but a picture taken about 20 minutes before hand, which they then switched for another picture of the square with the covers off! I don't know. Just when you think you might just be getting on top of this trading lark you realise there's always more to learn. So lesson learned. And a costly one. As it wiped out around £250 of my Ireland green. :-(

Was still on for a 3 figure win but when Ireland lost 3 quick wickets on resumption I reduced my Pakistan red to a manageable size incase they actually pulled of a miracle win and left it at that. Still £13 is £13. Not quite what I thought I'd make but a profit none the less. And helps put me in the green for the World Cup to date. Now I've just got to build on it!

5 comments:

STST said...

Hi,

Glad to see someone's having a decent run! Sad news about Bob Woolmer though.

Good Luck,

Gareth

Anonymous said...

Bloody Sky!
It just goes to show you can't belive everything you see/read.
I was waiting for the start of the Zim/Irl game, and Cricinfo said Zim won the toss and were batting, backed Zim hoping the price would come down early, turns out Irl were batting!
Bloody Cricinfo!
Good to hear you're in the Green.

The Betfair Trader said...

Yes, there was confusion over that. Cricbuzz had it right though. Both sites said Zimbabwe had won the toss but each thought they had elected to do a different thing. And Sky don't show the toss live hence the confusion. That said the pitch report suggested the play was very definitely to field first.

So it was Cricbuzz 1 Cricinfo 0. Sorry to hear the misinformation cost you money. Judging by the comments on the Betfair forum you weren't the only one.

For future reference, and for a chance to recoup the loss, it might be worth remembering that Cricbuzz almost always has the toss information up before Cricinfo.

The Betfair Trader said...

Cheers Gareth. Managed to turn things round so now have a very small profit for the world cup to build on.

And yes, tragic news about Bob Woolmer. Makes you think doesn't it.

Anonymous said...

I was lucky, managed to lay the bet off at the same price, and then ended up with profit on Zim £0 on Ireland. Had to go to work, so couldn't trade the entire game.
Bloody Ireland!!!!
Thanks for the tip on Cricbuzz, I'll check it out for the game later.