Sunday, May 06, 2007

Snooker and cricket trading

Result since last update: £85.88

Not done too much trading since the last update. More a case of dropping in on some snooker and cricket when I've had the opportunity. Been far more interesting things to do like watching my local football team get promoted and celebrating with a drink or two. :-)

Anyway, I got involved in both the snooker semi finals from Sheffield to varying degrees. I knew I wasn't going to be able to watch all of either match so each time I had a dip in for a frame or two I simply looked to make some green on the outright match odds market and then level it out. Missed the end of both games while out celebrating but made just over £86 on each match. Got to say the Murphy v Selby match was doing my head in somewhat. Just seemed that everytime I got involved Murphy was having one hell of a run of the balls at my expense! I'm sure the luck was being levelled out but I just didn't get to see it. :-(

Then had a bit of a disaster on the cricket today in the Friends Provident game between Worcestershire and Nottinghamshire. It was my first domestic match of the season. And, like my first World Cup match, I lost. Just under £260. Scratching my head a bit really as I called the match right but just had a shocker in the market.

Missed the start of the match, and sections throughout the game, but at the change of innings I was something like £100 green each side. It was quite interesting as the liquidity was well down on the recent money fests we had for the world cup. That said there were some large players involved and their money was clear to see.

Anyway, the combination of lowish liquidity and large sums of money opposing my view on the game led me to trade as normally as possible but also take a more positional approach to the game. My mistake was the position I ended up taking was too large for my existing market situation. Silly mistake really. I was tempted by the large sums of money opposing me at what I considered to be, in all honesty, ludicrous prices. The position I took - a back of Nottinghamshire - was right. I guess I got my timing wrong though. Because as the market moved against me I eventually had to take a hit on a large part of it or risk entering my maximum loss territory.

Naturally, shortly after taking the loss the market started coming back my way and for the rest of the match I was simply in the position of reducing red rather than accumulating green. All rather frustrating really as I felt I'd read the game correctly but maybe taken the plunge too early. Or certainly for too large an amount. If I'd done it for half the money everything would have been fine. Something to think on for next time anyway. Greed, it appears, is not always good. :-(

Tomorrow sees Durham v Lancashire in the Friends Provident and the end of the snooker final. Not sure how much I'll be able to do. I have a very small 3 figure green each way on the snooker but without a mini miracle it looks all but over. Certainly possible for Selby to come back but from 12-4 down it'll take some playing. As for the cricket I won't be able to do it all but, weather permitting, might get a chance to catch a few overs here and there. Best of luck if you have a go at it.

No comments: