Thursday, June 01, 2006

The end of the first month

Monthly Result for May: £1052.8

Not a bad month really. Pretty pleased. Especially considering I didn't start until May 8th because of my mum's illness - and then started trading to small stakes as I eased myself back into it.

As I said in the What's it all about section the wedding is on August 18, 2007 so if I can achieve this type of result each month my initial £1k starting bank will more or less cover the wedding costs which would be fantastic! Though I'm not naive enough to think this is a walk in the park it would be a huge bonus to cover even half the outright cost.

There's been some disappointing results this month but the worst was the loss on the first England v Sri Lanka test. Wasn't my biggest loss (that was on a Roddick game) - I just traded it like a muppet. Got what I deserved really. Double slap in face really as Emma, my fiancee, had a box at Lords for the first day and I had to make do with Sky Sports!

Been some pleasing results too. But rather than pick out an individual event the thing I'm most pleased about is the consistency. I've traded 44 events this month. That's not to say I watched and traded 44 whole events. I've traded a few in full and just dipped in and out of the others. Of the 44 events I've made a profit on 41. Lost on 3. If I can keep that kind of consistency up I'd be a happy man!!

Looking foward into June I'll continue to still only trade with a small part of the initial £1k. (The biggest chunks I'm currently trading in are £500 but I often drop it down to £250 still). If I'm fortunate enough to keep building the profit I'll look at slowly increasing the trading sum until eventually I can start using 1k chunks. Will take a while to reach that stage yet but as long as the green keeps ticking over and this blog doesn't get in the way of other business I'm happy to continue as I am.

Since starting the blog I noticed my trading style has got even more cautious. I guess that's down to my wanting to make it a success and not wanting a bad start. But I don't mind cautious as long as the results are consistent. It's a long-term game and I'm in no rush to chase big profits. Undoubtedly I could have made more on certain events by taking bigger risks but that's not what the blog is about.

Anyway, a quick thankyou to Phil over at Smiling Assassin and Damian at D is for Discipline who were the first two people to link to me! Best of luck with your bets guys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mate....excellent Blog and a really good read. Also congrats on your first months profit.

Could you possibly e-mail me @ jimmytennis@fsmail.net - I have a couple of questions for you.

Cheers

The Betfair Trader said...

Thanks for the comment Jimmy. Have emailed you. If anyone else wants to contact me there's now a "contact me" link at the bottom of the right hand side menu.