Monday, April 30, 2007

Cricket World Cup review

Not so much a review of the competition as a whole but rather my trading performance during the world cup. I've mentioned what I thought of the world cup in several posts including parts of this one and this one. Suffice to say now it's all over I thought it was pretty poor in many aspects. I wasn't at all surprised to see that Rudi Koertzen after his, shall we say strange, decisions in the Sri Lanka v New Zealand semi final, appears to have had a leading hand to play in the shambles that marked the end of the final. Knock me down with a shovel but it appears Rudi, as 3rd umpire, didn't know the rules. (Though I wouldn't be churlish enough to blame him entirely) And I find it all a little unsavoury that the death of Bob Woolmer appears to have been swept under the carpet somewhat.

Cricket fan or not though ultimately the competition was about my results. Mercenary I know but that's why I sit there for hours and trade. It's for me. My profits. And paying for my wedding. So, how did I get on?

Well, it was great! Despite a
losing start I made precisely £7,175 from the tournament. Small fry to many I know but a great result for me. Better than I'd hoped for before a ball was bowled. And a massive contribution to paying for the big day. I can't be anything but chuffed with that result. It's more than £1k tax free a week and as such will work out at more than I earned from my job! I think I can safely say my trading software paid for itself.



Breaking it down a little, of the 50+ games I got involved in 38. For some I did the whole match, for some most of it and for some just an innings or even just a few overs. Of the 38 games I did have an interest in I won on 33 and lost on 5. My biggest win was £933.44 when
Bangladesh turned over South Africa. My biggest loss was £419.97 when South Africa humiliated England and I let a losing position run too long.

I had a
lucky escape when the Ireland v Zimbabwe match was tied and once again learned /reminded myself of some lessons about trading cricket including these three. (1, 2, 3)

Ultimately though the size of my final profit on the tournament comes down to a change in bankroll management before it started. I mentioned I was going to
trial a new money management system and I did. Not immediately. In fact not properly until well into the Super 8s although I was using aspects of it on some shorter priced games before the Super 8s started.

Reviewing my trading and results on the whole I can call the trial a success. There were aspects I wasn't pleased about but I've identified these and can work on them. On the whole though using the bigger bank was beneficial to me and I've decided to continue with the new money management rules indefinitely. The larger amounts will be for cricket only though - I'll continue
as before with other sports - and I'll obvioulsy take account of liquidity in each game before getting too stuck in. Now we're into the domestic cricket season liquidity is generally reduced. Though should still be enough for me.

Anyway, that's that. The 2007 Cricket World Cup is over. I hope it treated you well. From my trading perspective at least it was a success. And I hope I can now carry that success forward into the domestic season. :-)


No comments: